http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/DesignOOPHM gives a decent
overview and specs out the wire protocol.

High level:
The bootstrap page detects the ?gwt.codesvr= fragment, and tries to load the
plugin.

The plugin then validates the permissions. Assuming the permissions are
good, it connects to the code server.

The code server then does a JDT compile, runs generators, etc... Then it
runs the module entry point.

Any java code runs in the JVM on the code server. For any JSNI (that
includes JSNI in GWT core such as the standard DOM accessors), those
function calls go across the wire to the plugin where they are evaluated in
the Browser's Javascript VM in the context of the application.

Java objects referenced by JSNI functions get wrapped by the plugin so JS
code can reference an object that lives in the JVM. One of the causes of
slowness in the Chrome plugin is v8 has an identity bug with NPObjects that
requires us to round trip to v8 and compare our own custom tags on every
identity comparison for a Java object. This is actively being worked on and
we should be able to ship a speed improvement build for recent builds of
chrome shortly.