I've been doing the same research deep dive and came up with this
nugget of code

   final TimeZoneConstants timeZoneConstants =
GWT.create(TimeZoneConstants.class);
    TimeZone usPacific = TimeZone.createTimeZone(

TimeZoneInfo.buildTimeZoneData(timeZoneConstants.americaLosAngeles()));
    Date dt = new Date(2007 - 1900, 7 - 1, 1);
    assertTrue(usPacific.isDaylightTime(dt));
    assertEquals("PDT", usPacific.getShortName(dt));
    assertEquals("Pacific Daylight Time", usPacific.getLongName(dt));

from
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/user/test/com/google/gwt/i18n/client/TimeZoneTest.java?r=3655