On Sep 26, 2:49 pm, camerojo <jadcpub-goo...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> It is the bugs in the GWT core that I feel need to be strongly
> prioritized. That is where any development resources that Google
> assigns to GWT are most profitably deployed.
>
> My worry is that I see those valuable resources being applied to new
> high level architectural concepts which may or may not be useful to
> users, while nasty reported bugs remain for months or even years in
> the core functionality. A solid core is critical.

I'm don't want to seem unappreciative by adding to a discussion that
might be a little critical, but I couldn't agree more strongly with
what John said above. I've struggled to get excited about much of the
GWT functionality since 2.2 came out and I keep hoping the focus will
change back to infrastructure rather than architecture.

Core functionality (date/timezone/calendar, drag and drop, etc.) and
weird compatibility problems (FireFox key events and similar) seem to
languish for so long. Arguably, much of this isn't Google's
responsibility, but the vision of GWT as a layer over all the browser
craziness implies these areas (along with regular GPE updates, no
matter how annoying Mozilla's policies) should be something of a
priority.

Beyond this, some people seem to make the case that third parties
should be filling the gap with various UI widgets, but the lifespan of
the various bits of code floating around out there makes using third
party parts problematic. I'm amazed at how much pre-2.0, listener-
centric code is still out there. I feel like I'm in jungle as soon as
I start looking around outside the toolkit. A stable set of core UI
widgets (masked text entry, date/time pickers, currency, etc.) would
go a long way towards making GWT easy to use to build meaningful apps
with a lower learning curve.

In a nutshell, I'd have been much more excited to see a healthy list
of compatibility fixes and a really nice timezone-savvy date/time
picker that I knew would be supported long term rather than all the
Roo stuff that came out recently.

Not that I don't appreciate everything that's already there, though.
GWT is awesome and I just hope to see it keep getting better.