It's funny to me that you feel this way, because every large project I've
worked on using a dynamically typed language has turned into a rats nest
and has caused me undue headaches with me having to maintain the runtime
context in my head instead of having that determined for me.  I'm talking
about once you get into the 30K plus lines of code.

I do think that if you're just adding a menu or some other JS glitz to a
page, GWT is definitely more than you need, which is why I still hack out
PERL scripts whenever I want to churn through a file for some quick one off
analysis.

I know there are large projects written completely in dynamic languages
though, have you written one, and are there things you do to keep them
maintainable?  I know you can create a rats nest with JAVA too, but at
least I always know simple things like what variables I have access to and
if my refactorings changed every instance calling my function.