Your problem has nothing to do with editors actually, only with
RequestFactory. It's true that any edited proxy will be part of the
request, whether it's passed (or referenced by another proxy, transitively,
that is passed) as argument to a service method or not; and it's also true
that as soon as you edit() a proxy, all the proxies it references are
automatically edit()ed as well.

Given that there's an explicit unit-test testing that such a proxy is
actually sent to the server, I guess it's by-design. I suppose one use-case
was to edit proxies, make changes to them, and send them for validation
without even calling a service method. I fail to see the real usage though,
as the objects would be frozen after the call.

I however agree I'd rather only "referenced" proxies are sent to the
server, and if you want to validate your proxies then create a dummy no-op
service method (again, I'd fail to see the real usage, but the point is to
say it'd be easy to have the same behavior with only small changes).

Another use-case could be to send proxies (without changes) to the server
so that you can have EntityProxyChange events back, and thus detect deleted
or updated objects; but then again I fail to see a real use-case, as
detecting updated objects without retrieving them at the same time is kind
of useless in 90% of cases, and again, you can easily have that behavior by
only adding a service method call (if you want the changes back, then make
an "echo" method that returns its argument, it'd be enough).

Feel free to file an issue and link to this message, and let's see how its
getting triaged.