On Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:33:31 AM UTC+1, Elizabeth Lemon wrote:

> Thanks so much for replying!
>
> I read that JavaScriptObjects are an opaque handle in the javadoc
>
> http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/1.6/com/google/gwt/core/client/JavaScriptObject.html

You might want to read the latest javadoc:
http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/javadoc/latest/index.html
(it hasn't changed for JavaScriptObject since GWT 1.6, but still).
What the javadoc is trying to express is that a JSO is not a classical Java
object, it's just, as I said earlier, a "shim" that allows you to access a
JS object from your Java code.
It might also be a legacy of the times where you couldn't/shouldn't extend
JSO (GWT 1.5 and earlier, "overlay types" were not officially supported at
that time).

> When you mentioned how server side performance is different, is it
> because of the protocol used to marshall and unmarshall the data once
> it arrives on the server?

Partly this, partly the semantics of the protocol. RequestFactory does more
than simply calling methods remotely.

> You mentioned that the DOM is much more of an issue? In what sense?
> And how does one go about optimizing for this?

See
http://www.google.com/events/io/2010/sessions/architecting-performance-gwt.html
and various other Google I/O sessions.

I always believed that gwt's deserialization via gwtrpc back into the
> client side was the bottleneck.  Which is why I began to consider
> other options such as JavaScript Overlay Types.  But then again, I
> guess forgot that I would have to manage the JSON (or turn them into
> POJOs, the advantage of GWTRPC you were speaking of I assume?)

Did I ever said anything about an advantage of GWT-RPC over something else?
;-)

> on the
> server as well.  I suppose the plus side to this is that there is very
> little deserialization that is needed to be done on the client side.
>
> Would I be correct in saying that, since I can't change the speed of
> my client's computer, I should place the deserialization/serialization
> work on the server (which I could always allocate more resources for?
>
> I guess really I'm looking for bottlenecks or an architecture that
> would give great scalability~

You probably know the common wisdom about "premature optimization"?
Don't try to solve a problem you don't have (yet?).

FYI, Google Groups uses GWT-RPC.