After I wrote my original follow-up to Thomas' message, I thought of
having different services - one for methods that require
authentication, and one for those that don't.  Then I can map my
ServletFilter to the URL for the service that requires authentication,
and not map it to those that don't.

That seems easier to me than the annotation route.  Anyone have any
reasons to think otherwise?

Ryan