Hi,
Please see underlined info below from  http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-371.txt

Thanks.

*So that's at the connection level as opposed to what you'd call the
"application level."  The application level, the server, the browser can say,
independent of the connection, I'm able to decompress using Deflate and Gzip,
for example.  And then the server says, oh, good.  We're going to save
bandwidth by compressing those things before we send them to you since you've
said you know how to decompress them.  So that's at the application level, or
at the HTTP protocol level.  It's also possible to do compression at a lower
level, down at the SSL link level, essentially.
So only Chrome and Firefox ever did that.  They no longer do that as a
consequence of what these guys found.  Also, SPDY used to do that, and SPDY no
longer does that.  Basically, compression has been, at this level, was
immediately backed off of.  Now, it's not news that compression can leak
information, that is, sort of generically.  It's been well understood for many,
many years that compression and privacy were at odds with each other for
exactly the reasons I explained last week, which is because the amount of
compression you get is a direct function of what you're compressing, if the bad
guys have any control over what is being compressed, that allows them to probe
for what they don't know, what they don't have control over, which they're
trying to determine.*