> Is it possible to perform regular Java object serialization in the GWT
> client?

Puh, once compiled your Java code is JavaScript code. No JVM available, no
reflection available, classes/methods/variable names obfuscated. So your
only chance would be a GWT generator that produces serialization code at
compile time. This serialization code must correctly produce/consume binary
data that satisfies the serialization protocol of
Java:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/platform/serialization/spec/protocol.html
.

Not sure if thats possible. My feeling says no, but I also have never read
up Java's serialization spec. So maybe my feeling is wrong.

> Of course the other approach is to convert the Java object into a full
> JSON object but given it's complexity I haven't found a way to do that yet
> (I posted separate newsgroup message on that approach).  Either approach
> would be fine for me, I can worry about performance differences later.

Thats what I would try. There are
- Json Overlay Types
- AutoBeans
- Frameworks like Piriti (http://code.google.com/p/piriti/)
- maybe you can borrow you some code from resty-gwt
(http://restygwt.fusesource.org/documentation/restygwt-user-guide.html#JSON_Encoder_Decoders)
- you can roll your own solution using GWT's generators at compile time.

I'll bet there should exist something that suites your needs.

-- J.