Hi Christopher,
accessing the webcam is something the browser may be unable to do:
recent browsers (just chrome afaik) that implement WebRTC's getUserMedia
(http://www.webrtc.org/)  may provide access to the stream coming from the
webcam,
else you're forced to use a plugin, for instance flash.

If you want to use WebRTC, moving to  GWT 2.5 and Elemental is in my
opinion a good choice.
If you want, you can find some info here
http://jooink.blogspot.it/2012/11/gwt-augmented-reality-howto-step-2.html
(just the first few lines, up to the copy into a canvas, then canvas's
toDataURL() will give you the snapshot).

Ciao,
   Alberto.