No, you can't do anything about it (that I know of), except maybe
overlaying something above it, but that'll just prevent clicks.

Users of Internet Explorer know this "widget" and know how (not) to use it,
so IMO this is a false issue: this is how IE8 behave, so don't make it
behave differently or the risk is that your users will be lost.

AFAICT, when the field references a non-existing file, the form.submit()
throws an exception though, so you could possibly catch it and show a
message. You could also possibly check on pre-submit that the value at
least looks like a valid file path/name.