Which version of GWT are you using?

I know that in GWT 2.5.1, Java 7 is supported. I'm also running Eclipse
Kepler (launched with Java 7 SDK x64)

But I do have to run my actual build with Java 6 (Eclipse Run
Configurations for build.xml and on the JRE tab select 'Separate JRE'
pointing it to jdk1.6.0) and even target it for 1.5 (via source="1.5"
target="1.5" on the javac target in the build.xml).

Some of the .jars that I pull in are built with Java 7 and that hasn't
caused me any issues. But I've had to actually build with Java 6 so far.

How did you create the starter project?