Are you using Maven? I don't know why else your project would have Project
Facets enabled. Doh, I just tested this and I also had my starter project
created with a custom Project Facet. My real GWT project doesn't use
Project Facets.

Right click on your project and go to Properties, then select Project
Facets. My starter project has only Java checked and defaulted to 1.6. Try
changing this to 1.7? You may also want to check your jdk1.7.0 on the
Runtimes tab under Project Facets.