From: Apathy,Nate [nate.apa...@cerner.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:22 PM
To: Campbell, James R; Fothergill, Rita, R
Subject: RE: ETLADD for Childrens Memorial

Hi Jim,

Looking at the other ADD’s on the PCORNet site, it looks like there ended up
being significant confusion as to what those breakdowns represented for the
Diagnosis and Procedure sections of the Data Summary tab. If you look at
Wisconsin’s, they took it to mean # of unique patients with both an encounter
of that type and a diagnosis on that encounter (screenshot below). In the
DX_TYPE counts, their counts are for unique patients rather than encounters
with that DX type or total counts of diagnoses observations by type.

It appears (based on percentages) that the other sites also interpreted how
CMH’s document looks, or they got the same results based on KU’s ETL code.
Nathan Graham’s code looks like it counts unique diagnosis-containing
encounters by type, since the 88m with No Information is far greater than their
total unique patient count. These disagreements seem worthy of at least a
GPC-DEV email to poll the group on how they arrived at these interpretations.
What do you think?

[cid:image001.png@01CFCD13.68ABDC80]

Nate Apathy
Program Manager, Cerner Research