Note, I'm only considering the standard release range category values for
EPT-30 in this message.

Does last visit need to have some human contact (either physical or via phone
or electronic communication)?

Since visits in i2b2 are generally captured with a provider (unless you're
doing genetics sequencing or something), you normally need to have the actual
provider.  So I think a completed appointment would only be considered with a
provider, correct?  Since on a canceled, no show, or other that's not
completed, would not have a confirmed provider.

There are exceptions to this rule.  A nurse can be considered a patient's
provider for a visit.  In that case, we would have no provider, so those visits
would likely seem as important as those without a provider.

Visit types such as 20-Treatment Plan or Appointment can turn into other visit
types.  Since we're dealing with NAACR data, a treatment plan could turn into
several other visits for chemo treatment (for each visit) for example.  But
they do not confirm you have an actual visit where the patient was seen.

116-Episode changes might mean there will be future visits, but doesn't
necessarily mean we have a visit.  For example, we might have a pregnancy, and
everything will be billed for that one episode at the end of it.  That first
encounter might not mean we had actual human contact with the patient, but
maybe we did.

Are we considering auxiliary (needed for medical staff to access EHR without
patient) or ancillary system visit types (needed for interfaces/Bridges to move
data into Epic)?  We don't really have patient/human contact, but there might
have been from the interfaced medical software.

I'd personally choose to throw away the following since we're dealing with
things outside patient care, or they are just based on Epic Hyperspace
workflows, or because they involve potential future visits (e.g. Wait List) or
other unrelated patient activity.

5-Canceled
6-Unmerge
7-Contact Moved
10-EMPTY
30-Update
97-Committee Review
98-Post Mortem Documentation
99-Billing Encounter
109-History
110-Referral
112-Rx Refill Authorize
115-Resolute Professional Billing Hospital Prof Fee

Then we have the gray area visit types of whether there was human contact or
not.  This would require more discussion.  For example, 60 is the precursor for
something scheduled for the future, but we don't know if there was human
contact.  And Abstract is very abstract!

30-Update
60-Health Maintenance Letter
64-Questionnaire Series Submission
71-Nurse Triage
102-Consent Form
105-Letter (Out)
150-Abstract

Then we should consider if the patient is deceased or not.  That can change
whether or not we have a last visit.  But a consent form (visit type 102) from
a family member for example for organ donations would technically be considered
a last visit in some doctor's books, even if the patient is deceased.

I'd like to build a query, but I'd like to weed out what is needed by PCORI
first.