________________________________
From: Baker-McAlister Geoffrey I <gbaker-mcalis...@uwhealth.org>
Sent: Monday, January 9, 2017 2:49:35 PM
To: Thomas Mish
Subject: RE: geocoding: how to join at tract, census block resolution?

Hey Tom,
So, this is what I was relaying to you and Debbie last Friday. There are 5
levels in the US Census hierarchy:

1.       State (two digit - 55 for WI)

2.       County (three digit - 045 for Dane)

3.       Tract (6 digit - I don't have a good example, but you get the idea)

4.       Block Group (1 digit)

5.       Block (I think 2 digit, honestly, I don't know for sure. I hardly ever
work with blocks)

When someone says, "give me the block group of 301 S. Westfield Rd, Madison WI,
53717," what they are really asking for is the concatenation of 1, 2, 3 and 4.
If you are only given 4, it will not tell you anything.

Geoff