On 11/03/08 16:52, Wolf Bergenheim wrote:
On 03/09/2008 11:09 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all,

just some thought on the SoC project(s)

* displaced symbols.
   Create a module to place map symbols on a map, so that the
   feature and other overlap information is minimized (NP-Complete
   problem). The map symbol should be referenced to their original
   location, by using a reference line.
I don't quite understand what you mean by map symbol. Automatic
placement for legends, north arrows, and scale bars? (Seems reasonable,
even if I'm not sure I'd ever use it personally)

Or for 'd.vect type=point icon=symbol_class/symbol_name'? (I don't
think we should be perturbing spatially referenced markers)

If this is just about feature labeling: I believe the people at
www.qgis.org have a similar SoC project in mind, so it might be possible
to cooperate with them on the basic collision detection algorithm(s).

Point-feature labeling with icons. I'm working on an automatic labeling module for GRASS whenever I have a few minutes to spare (unfortunately not as many minutes, nor often enough.. *sigh*) Hmm there might be some avenue of cooperation with qgis here. Is there anything in qgis that needs support in the GRASS side?

Uniforming the vector modules:
* Vector 3D support. Make all vector modules work in 3D space.
* Add where= and cats= to as many modules as possible, where
reasonable (also see ml discussion on this)
it would be good to write down exactly which modules are involved.
"all" will not be appropriate.

I see this more of a chore than an interesting new project challenge.

Unless it also involves getting basic 3D topology into the GRASS
vector kernel: "point in sphere", some 3D object intersections,
voxel<->3D vector would all be challenging (especially if done
efficiently) things and VERY useful to future development of 3D
functionality in GRASS.

I agree :) We'd need someone with strong 3d skills to help mentor the 3d part.

* wxGui Graphical colour and interval and category selections. This
would create a file which could be used in r.reclass, r.colors and
friends. Maybe a similar tool for the vector equivalent?
how does this releate to the new thematic tools?

This could go together with a little C library that implements things
such as "natural breaks" and others which could then also be used
by r.reclass, v.reclass and possibly other modules that need to break
number ranges into discrete classes.

Exactly! :)

cf http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/lib/arraystats
If someone has a nice implementation of the natural breaks algorithm, I would be very happy to add that (the discont algorithm gives similar results).

And yes, I do think that a graphical colour and interval selection tool could interact with the thematic modules (currently only d.thematic.area - http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/display/d.thematic.area).

Moritz