On 11/01/09 22:32, Moritz Lennert wrote:
On 11/01/09 14:02, Glynn Clements wrote:
Moritz Lennert wrote:

Meschach is implemented in C and is able to replace the gmath library completely with much better implementations. I have integrated meschach into grass for testing purposes and, after some very basic testing, it works nicely. But im unsure if the licence of meschach is compatible with the GPL? Can somebody please verify this? Im not an expert in licensing.
This seems to be the relevant part:

"The source code is available to be perused, used and passed on without
cost, while ensuring that the quality of the software is not compromised."

There is no mention of modification, and the second half of the sentence ("while ensuring that the quality of the software is not compromised") sounds quite suspicious to me. So, without claiming any expert knowledge either, I would be sceptical.

Where did you find that?

http://www.netlib.org/c/meschach/readme

It appears to contradict:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/m/meschach/current/copyright

The Debian version is what's in the copyright file in the source code available here:

http://www.math.uiowa.edu/~dstewart/meschach/mesch12b.tar.gz

So, sorry for the confusion, no contradiction (just an unclear readme file).

However, is

** Everyone is granted permission to copy, modify and redistribute this
** Meschach Library, provided:
[...]
**  3.  No charge is made for this software or works derived from it.
**      This clause shall not be construed as constraining other software
**      distributed on the same medium as this software, nor is a
**      distribution fee considered a charge.

GPL-compatible ?

Moritz