On 04/02/15 18:04, Vaclav Petras wrote:

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlenn...@club.worldonline.be <mailto:mlenn...@club.worldonline.be>> wrote:

    This just makes the rectangle smaller, but I still see it without
    the image for a while.

I don't see the rectangle on Ubuntu but the splash screen is there just
for a very short time comparing to how long nothing is visible. When
starting GRASS for the first time after restart of computer I wait
something like 7 seconds for the splash screen and splash screen is
there just for 3 seconds. I guess this is not something we can change
because when started for second time, the splash screen shows
immediately, so the 7 seconds are for loading the wx libraries. I saw
the same ratio of nothing and splash screen time on some MS Windows
machines too.

Would it be possible to launch some hidden process earlier (i.e. while the user looks at the startup screen) that already loads the libraries ?

Moritz