On 09/02/15 16:19, Anna Petrášová wrote:

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlenn...@club.worldonline.be <mailto:mlenn...@club.worldonline.be>> wrote:

    On 09/02/15 15:47, Martin Landa wrote:

        Hi,

        <mailto:kratocha...@gmail.com>>:

            Perhaps we should go back  to the previous version. I would
            suggest to move

        agreed, done in r64527.

            the GMFrame import after showing the splash screen (the diff
            is for release
            branch):

        done in r64528.

            as a result on my computer, the splash screen is showed
            earlier. It probably
            won't effect the problem Moritz has, but it's worth trying.
            I also saw

        Moritz, does it any effect for you?

    Well, now I have the same problem of a temporarily empty splash
    screen again which was solved with your previous modification. And
    as mentioned I don't really see any difference in speed for the
    arrival of that empty splash screen.

    Am I really the only one who sees this empty rectangle as a splash
    screen for a little moment before the image fills it ???

I haven't noticed this on Windows and my Ubuntu laptop with any wxPython
version.

Martin, you are on Debian as well, aren't you ? What is different in our setups that could explain this difference ?

Would splash.Show() help when you put it before wx.Yield?

Neither splash.Show(), splash.Update(), or splash.Refresh() make any difference, here.

Martin's solution (creating first the splash screen as a separate class, is the only one that has worked for me so far, with the caveat that it slows down startup by +/- a second on my machine.

All of this is not dramatic except for the weird impression an empty splash screen gives.

AFAIU, the best solution is to separate splash creation and general GUI execution, and according to your info, Anna, forking seems the best solution for that if we want to avoid the speed penalty of Martin's solution.

But let's concentrate on the more important tasks to get GRASS7.0 out of the door.

Moritz