On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 9:09 PM Markus Metz
<markus.metz.gisw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 8:29 PM Markus Metz <markus.metz.gisw...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 5:35 AM Vaclav Petras <wenzesl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Similarly to the GDAL and PROJ issue where I don't think it is necessary
> > > to have GRASS C89/C++98 compliant when you need C++11 for GDAL anyway.
> >
> > The C code of GRASS master is currently compatible with a lot of GDAL and
> > PROJ versions, also GDAL 1.xand PROJ 4.8.x which most likely do not require
> > C++11 or C99. If we want to keep this compatibility, we need to stick with
> > the lower C and C++ standards. Related to the question which currently
> > supported production environments we want to support.
>
> My PR 1283 [0] is related to this discussion, it does not work with stock
> Centos 7, and the github test with Centos 7 is thus failing. Of course it is
> still possible to use GRASS master on Centos 7 as long as there is a more
> recent PROJ version (as in my setup).

Amusingly I am also the EPEL/Centos maintainer of PROJ
(https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/proj) but I believe that per
policy I cannot push a major version bump to the Centos repo. But I
don't really know and didn't study that too much. However, there is
"Fedora ELN" which provides PROJ 7 but I am not sure what ELN is for.

> I suggest removing the github test for Centos 7 and using Centos 8 instead,
> if possible.

Makes sense to me.

> This does not mean that GRASS master is no longer running on Centos 7, or
> similar old, but still supported OS's. This means that people who want to use
> GRASS master with those OS's need to update certain GRASS dependencies
> themselves. As long as those OS's support the minimum C and C++ standards
> required by GRASS.

+1

> Markus M
>
> [0] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1283