Hi Vaclav, all,

answers are included below.

Best,
Peter
Gesendet: Montag, 31. Mai 2021 um 21:23 Uhr
Von: "Vaclav Petras" <wenzesl...@gmail.com>
An: "grass-dev@lists.osgeo.org" <grass-dev@lists.osgeo.org>, "Peter Löwe" <peter.lo...@gmx.de>
Betreff: Re: [release planning] Enable Zenodo before 7.8.6 and 8.0.0
Peter,

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 8:30 AM Peter Löwe <peter.lo...@gmx.de> wrote:

The MOSS project minted its first DOI as a proof concept in the process of becoming a OSGeo heritage project (https://zenodo.org/record/4719685#.YKzpGKgzaUk). For this, we used stakeholders roles according to MARC21 like the R project does: https://journal.r-project.org/archive/2012-1/RJournal_2012-1_Hornik~et~al.pdf

Are there any good alternatives or more recent documents for that?

==> the CodeMeta-Project is currenlty pushing software citation standards: https://codemeta.github.io/

BTW, ways to retro-provide DOI versioning for previous GRASS releases would be an rewarding topic to discuss with Data Cite (the DOI infrastructure community).

Any opinions on how useful this is? We want a good archive of old versions, but does someone need DOIs for old releases?

==> This depends on wether the community wants to give due credit by citation to the persons which were involved in the previous releases.

DOI for software versioning is is still a developing topic. Feedback from the GRASS community would be valuable to push this forward.

Right. Any suggestions on includings DOI into source code? It seems to me that you can only use the generic/concept one and tell people to get the recent one. I didn't figure out the DOI reservation for GitHub repos.

==> A JSON file could be included. This way, the information is both readable for humans and automated access: https://codemeta.github.io/codemeta-generator/

Vaclav