On 3/23/22 21:08, Markus Neteler wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 9:33 AM Sebastiaan Couwenberg
<sebas...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Now that 7.8.7 has been released, I started looking into updating the
Debian package to 8.0.x which requires rebuilding libgdal-grass and qgis.

Initial tests with libgdal-grass are not promising. Both gdalinfo and
ogrinfo show errors because not all libraries are linked. We saw this
too when 7.2 was released: https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/6785

The attached patch helps to some extent, but does not resolve all
issues.

Did you propose the path to GDAL in GitHub yet?

No, there was no need after all.

I was led astray by the error from the grass sqlite driver which doesn't need changes in gdal-grass.

I just merged and backported
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/2269

Perhaps that helps, too? It probably also solves this issue:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/47576

Perhaps.

libgdal-grass and qgis built with grass 8 have only just been available in unstable.

The transition to proj 9 is currently ongoing so and qgis hasn't been rebuilt yet, but gdal has, so qgis isn't very usualy right now with dependencies on different versions of proj.

Should we perhaps take this opportunity to move the grass libraries to
default library search paths as raised on the debian-gis list?

   https://lists.debian.org/debian-gis/2021/12/msg00023.html

Others have answered positively, so the question is when to introduce
needed changes.

Has any work been done testing and patching gdal-grass and qgis for
GRASS 8 yet?

- I have successfully locally compiled the gdal-grass driver
- also added a COPR for Fedora RPMs:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/neteler/gdal-grass-plugin/
- Nyall and Sandro have patched QGIS to support GRASS GIS 8, some weeks ago

More tests are welcome.

This seems to be sufficient so far:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian-gis-team/gdal-grass/-/commit/0192b0418e04d79678bdd5c4c377b8cece5e0939

We mostly need gdal-grass for gdal 3.5 now.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1