Note that you need to use the ampersand to prevent either gui from running modally (i.e., locking you out of the terminal command line until you quit the GUI). I guess you can still access the old TclTk startup script, which includes an ampersand to prevent modal launch of the GUI.

One guess as to why you are getting a TclTk GUI even when you compile without it. You probably compiled with it, which put all the TclTk scripts into your binary grass.app file. If you subsequently compile without it and do a "make install", it will put in new files and overwrite old files with new, but will not get rid of files not overwritten. That is, you probably still have the TclTk scripts in your grass.app folder. They are simply text files that are interpreted as they are run. So you aren't actually compiling them, but simply copying them from the source tree into your binary grass.app folder. So they are still there, even after you have compiled without them unless you delete your grass.app and have a new one built from scratch.

Michael

On Sep 29, 2008, at 5:14 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:44:49 +0400
From: Elvis Dowson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Re: Problem grass-6.4.0 error setting
        region: child   process exited abnormally
To: William Kyngesburye <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: GRASS User <grass-user@lists.osgeo.org>,      grass developers
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi William,
                      I just downloaded the latest version of
grass-6.4.x from cvs and tried compiling it, first with X11 and the
tcltk options, and the second time without tcltk. The funny thing is
even though I disable tcltk from the configure command the second
time, the tcltk application still kept showing.

Here is the first configure command

./configure --with-cxx --prefix=/Applications/GRASS --enable-macosx-
app --with-x --with-opengl=x11 --without-readline --x-includes=/usr/
X11/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib --with-opengl-includes=/usr/ X11/
include --with-opengl-libs=/usr/X11/lib

Here is the second configure command without tcltk

./configure --with-cxx --prefix=/Applications/GRASS --enable-macosx-
app --with-x --with-opengl=x11 --without-readline --x-includes=/usr/
X11/include --x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib --with-opengl-includes=/usr/ X11/
include --with-opengl-libs=/usr/X11/lib --without-tcltk

What could be causing it?

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson