On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 08:53 -0700, Michael Barton wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2009, at 3:45 AM, grass-user-requ...@lists.osgeo.org wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 23:21:18 +0100
> > From: ????? ??????????  <nikos.alexand...@felis.uni-freiburg.de>
> > Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] grass70 and display monitor
> > To: Glynn Clements <gl...@gclements.plus.com>
> > Cc: GRASS user list <grass-user@lists.osgeo.org>

> >> Very little is actually impossible, but the disadvantages (in terms of
> >> both effort and detriment to the end product) far outweigh the
> >> advantages.
> >
> > I loved the "d.mon & co" tools ;-). But I understand that they had to be
> > dropped. Is there already something in the wiki (with respect to grass70
> > and interactive d.* tools)?
> >
> > Thanks, Nikos
>
> Nikos,
>
> Rather than trying to have primitive interaction built in to different
> display modules, they all now work as true command line tools where you type
> a command with arguments and get a result. All d.* modules that worked as
> command line tools before (e.g., d.rast, d.vect) still work that way. See
> further explanations at
> <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-user/2009-December/053520.html>
>
> For d.* modules that had some kind of primitive GUI built into the module,
> they have either been switched to true command-line tools or are dropped from
> GRASS 7 until they are rewritten to that standard.
>
> Instead of trying to build interaction into each module, they all can now
> work with an independent GUI layer on top of the modules. This is what it is
> for. The current GUI will do all of the interaction of prior d.* modules with
> built-in GUI with the exception of a few modules (notably r.digit [super
> primitive and not really needed with vdigit and v.to.rast], i.class, and
> i.ortho.photo) and more.
>
> So you can do what you did before in a nicer environment.

Michael,

I did read (almost all of) your posts WRT to grass70 and d.*zzz.
However, I want to say that, honestly, I appreciate the time you invest
for clarifications (again).

It's one of those things that gives the community a meaning and
personally it makes me feel being a part of it.

Thank You, Nikos