Hullo Hamish,

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 13:03:32 +1100, Hamish <hamis...@yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]

for what it's worth, if built from source all of grass lives
in one directory, with only a small wrapper startup script
written to /usr/local/bin/. So it's not a source of too much
filesystem clutter and easy to clean up. It could even live in
your home dir.

6.4 is well worth the trouble of the upgrade..

OK, thanks for that advice.
I'll have a look a build from source and see how I go.

Raster display is incredibly slow.

probably your region resolution is set too fine. try 'g.region
rast=map_of_interest -p'. try to keep things under 40000x40000,
but for just looking at it on a monitor anything more than the
display (say 1500x1200) is just going to slow you down.

OK, I hadn't thought of that...been away too long.

I have some datasets from Grass4 and Grass5, and have tried
to access them but Grass63 doesn't appear to recognise them
as legitimate datasets.

In GRASS 6 the vector engine was replaced with a much more
powerful version, and the format changed with it. There's a
v.convert.all module which will convert all the old format
vector maps to GRASS 6 format.

Old point data (sites) have joined vector data now, use the
v.in.sites.all modules to convert them. (or without the ".all"
to just bring one map in)

raster maps should still work as before.

The thing is that Grass63 doesn't see anything when I point it at the old dataset directory, so none of the mapsets are available. I will try a build of Grass64 and if the problem persists I will start a new thread with a bit more detail.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
--
Regards,