Hi!

The problem with the “let graylog web pass on things” idea is that it is not
the web interface that decides on authentication/authorization at all, but the
server (in fact, all servers in the cluster do so).
What the web interface does is to pass on the entered credentials, and the
server verifies against internal and external sources, then if those check out
it creates a session in mongodb, which is then stored in the cookie and passed
through on every request.

Thus it is important that the server sees the credentials to make its call, a
reverse proxy with setting headers would amount to having no real
authentication checks at all, which is something we are not really inclined to
support at the moment.
SAML support so far has not been high on the request list, but if feel strongly
about it, please feel free to enter it into our ideas portal:
https://www.graylog.org/product-ideas/ <https://www.graylog.org/product-ideas/>
That helps us to prioritize community and customer requests better.

There seems to be a pac4j based library for SAML and a few other options at
https://github.com/bujiio/buji-pac4j <https://github.com/bujiio/buji-pac4j> but
the web-based flows will be problematic, due to the nature of which Graylog
component actually does the initial authentication.

Best regards,
Kay