Thanks, Jochen,

I perhaps didn't make myself clear in my question - I have a number of
Graylog collectors running on different instances and my question was more
whether I should create a separate input on a distinct port for each of
these collectors or just create one input and have all the collectors send
to that one input.

In the end, I went with the second approach, so I have one GELF TCP input
started on port 12201, which aggregates the data from all the collectors.

I then have created a number of streams to route the incoming data, where
they can be separated by log (and application) type.

I preferred this approach as it meant from a security point of view, I only
had to open one more port and the 'Streams' concept allowed me to segment
my log messages.

Seán