One benefit of having separated inputs is that you can isolate unique
extractors to only the input that provides the fields of interest, reducing
the load of having to parse for those fields on log data arriving from
unrelated sources.

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Sean McGurk <mymonkeyan...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks, Jochen,
>
> I perhaps didn't make myself clear in my question - I have a number of
> Graylog collectors running on different instances and my question was more
> whether I should create a separate input on a distinct port for each of
> these collectors or just create one input and have all the collectors send
> to that one input.
>
> In the end, I went with the second approach, so I have one GELF TCP input
> started on port 12201, which aggregates the data from all the collectors.
>
> I then have created a number of streams to route the incoming data, where
> they can be separated by log (and application) type.
>
> I preferred this approach as it meant from a security point of view, I
> only had to open one more port and the 'Streams' concept allowed me to
> segment my log messages.
>
> Seán
>
> On Tuesday, 1 December 2015 16:41:40 UTC, Sean McGurk wrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have set up a Graylog server with a number (7) of input sources.
>>
>> My question is, when configuring Graylog, is it better to open a number
>> of ports on the Graylog server and have each port receive messages from a
>> particular source or is it better to only open 1 port and receive all
>> inputs via this 1 port?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Seán
>>

>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/graylog2/7c662b78-65ee-4eb0-8186-551b63147d5f%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/graylog2/7c662b78-65ee-4eb0-8186-551b63147d5f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

No matter what we think of Linux versus FreeBSD, etc., the one thing I
really like about Linux is that it has Microsoft worried. Anything
that kicks a monopoly in the pants has got to be good for something.
- Chris Johnson