Yesterday we upgraded to Graylog 2.1. As a side effect, our second node now
works correctly.

I can't explain why it works yet, but here is what we went through:
1. Time sync checked, both hosts were only a couple of seconds apart.
2. Elasticsearch was indexing very slowly, and we worked most of the day
trying to figure out why. In the end, we decided to upgrade to ES 2.4.0.
There were various reasons, but essentially we had performance issues and
decided to try it. We were already at 2.3.5, and some of the tools we
wanted to use to evaluate performance problems needed 2.4.0. This went
well, and our indexing problems were resolved.
3. We upgraded Graylog next - this went well.

Problems are solved for the moment - we are glad this list is here and
people are listening.

Thanks !!!