Hi Al,

On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 15:11:34 UTC+1, Al Reynolds wrote:

> I was under the impression that using the "parse_date" function would
> create a Date object?

It does,
see http://docs.graylog.org/en/2.1/pages/pipelines/functions.html#parse-date
for reference. But your date pattern may be wrong
(see
http://www.joda.org/joda-time/apidocs/org/joda/time/format/DateTimeFormat.html
for reference).

Please share some example messages, so that we can validate your rule.

> As for "$timestamp" instead of "timestamp", I was trying different
> configurations, and thought that since the message field is referenced as
> "$message" I would try that format. What does the "$" indicate?

The $ character is simply part of the variable name containing the current
message (which is "$message"). It doesn't have a special meaning.

Cheers,
Jochen