"Silence" is definitely a democratic right, but a right that has to be
exercised within the structural hegemony that constructs each one of our
individual politics and places us within our respective identities (to be
blunt - shows us our place as a dalit, adivasi, muslim, woman, gay,
transgendered, disabled etc.), be it within media, academia, high culture or
just folklore. For instance, my school history text-books or general
discussions never included any account of the anti-brahmin movement or
people like Jyothi Thass and this is the matriculation syllabus in a
linguistically and culturally proud state like Tamil Nadu. Neither was the
history of Kashmir an issue. In this regard "silence" becomes violence by
virtue of being an act of ommission - deliberate or otherwise.
In this group itself there has been outrage expressed by various members,
for instance on the issue of selective silence on the part of certain
members with respect to Chengara - wouldn't that silence tantamount to
violence? I believe the same silence to be violence respect to caste and
issues like Kashmir or North East that do not reflect too well on our
"national" or "patriotic" ethos

--
Bobby Kunhu