Starred
Chats
Sent Mail
Drafts
All Mail
------------------------------
Contacts
Hi,

Freedom of expression is a much debated topic. I too am not 'enlightened'
enough to debate that in depth. I had found myself not  been entertaining
freely expressed views often. What I said was that I cant agree to Sardar's
point of view, that freedom should be exercised with responsibility, because
my opinion is different. Not to state Sardar is wrong.

If I am to accept that notion, I think I will end up in lot of dilemmas when
trying to express my ideas. To whom all should I act responsible? What one
person/group considers as right might be wrong to some others. Should I
write or express only within an acceptable limit? If so, acceptable to whom?
To the majority? to the powerful? to my religion? or other religions? Should
I express without hurting anyone's feelings? If so, how would anyone try to
bring up change? what  is the need of change? Is there a thing called
"absolute right" that everybody can accept?

I wonder, If sardar was to accept that notion, will he be able to question
the idea that "sharia is divine" which most muslims believe? will he able to
question the laws, however inhuman they might be to him, practiced by the
muslim communies/countries in the name of belief. Isn't he asking for the
freeedom to express when he criticises that sharia does not give space to
question?

Sardar might  be shocked on reading what Rushdie has written. There is
nothing wrong in that. I quoted that part only to give the context in which
he answered the second question, rushdie's right to write so. The answer "I
would forgive him" was that I found myself disagreeing with. While Sardar
could forgive rushdie, Khumeini and many others could not. If Sardar sees
Rushdie's work as an attack, and decides to attack back with a book,
Khumeini used his weapon - fatwa.

Let  me post a portion from Karan Thapar's interview (Devils advocate -
CNNIBN) with Arundhati Roy, on Freedom to express while disucssing Tasleema
Nasreen issue:

*Karan Thapar:** Let's come to the issues and the principle that underlie
> [...]
>
> *Karan Thapar:** So you're saying that given the fact that many people are
> vulnerable, freedom of speech for them should have no caveats, it should be
> absolute and that's their only protection? *
>
> *Arundhati Roy:* I think so because if you look at the facts, you have
> outfits like VHP or the Bajrang Dal or the CD that the BJP produced during
> the UP elections, you see that they do what they want to do. The powerful
> always do what they want to do. It is the powerless and the vulnerable that
> need free speech.
>
> *Karan Thapar:** Let's explore the position that you're taking – free
> speech is an absolute freedom and there should be no limitations on it. What
> about the view that by criticising Islam, Taslima has offended beliefs which
> for tens of millions of Indians, maybe for hundreds of millions are sacred?
> These are beliefs that underlie their dignity and their sense of identity.
> Should freedom of speech extend that far as to threaten people's sense of
> themselves? *
>
> *Arundhati Roy:* I don't believe that a writer like Taslima Nasreen can
> undermine the dignity of 10 million people. Who is she? She is not a scholar
> of Islam. She does not even claim that Islam is her subject. She might have
> said extremely stupid things about Islam. I have no problem with the
> quotations that I have heard from her book. *Dwikhandito* has not been
> translated into English, but let's just assume that what she said was stupid
> and insulting to Islam. But you have to be prepared to be insulted by
> something that insignificant.
>
> *Karan Thapar:** Let me quote to you some of the things that she said, not
> from Dwikhandito, but from an interview she gave to Anthony McIntyre, The
> Blanket in 2006. She says, "It's not true that Islam is good for humanity.
> It's not at all good. Islam completely denies human rights." Elsewhere she
> talks about what she calls the venomous snake of Islam. To me that sounds as
> if it goes perhaps beyond a simple critique and into deliberate provocation.
> *
>
> *Arundhati Roy:* It sounds like Donald Rumsfeld or some Christian
> fundamentalist.
>
> *Karan Thapar:** And you would rile at him so why not rile at her? *
>
> *Arundhati Roy:* Yeah, but I wouldn't say ban him or kill him. I would say
> what a ridiculous person. What a ridiculous thing. How can you start
> reacting to everything like that? We have an infinite number of stupidities
> in the world. How can you start having your foundations rocked by every
> half-wit?
>
> *Karan Thapar:** Let's put it like this, does freedom of speech
> necessarily include the right to offend? *
>
> *Arundhati Roy:* Obviously it includes the right to offend otherwise it
> wouldn't be the freedom of speech.
>
> *Karan Thapar:** But is that an acceptable right in India? *
>
> *Arundhati Roy:* One person's offence is another person's freedom.

The full interview can be found here:
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/if-treated-like-taslima-id-give-up-writing/53464-3-single.html

Though both situations (Sardar's comments on Rushdie / Roy on Tasleema) more
of a similar nature, I am not doing a comparison. To me, Arundhati's
arguments look more convincing.

Nevertheless, I don't consider Sardar as a close-minded person. His openness
is evident from all his writings (even in the latest - How I did I arrange
my daughter's marriage)

Regards

Abdulkareem