HI,
I am pasting Jenny's mail on Chengara struggle at the bottom of this thread.
To make the terrain clear, let me clarify why I want Gandhi (the historical
person) to be forgotten in this new thread.

If the attempt in the other thread by some friends was to convince all that
Gandhi
as an actor is historically not recommendable  and Ambedkar is more
acceptable, i personally have nothing against it.

but in order to reject certain principles ( even if those are invented by
Gandhi) we need more reasons .
Is there somethinng inherently doubtful about them/Then that should be
visible to everybody. thus I insisted on providing reasons.
If somebody tell why it is unacceptable, there is scope for debate.
Otherwise , the exclusivist attitude will
demand the other to accept ones terms .which means the end of
communication.Are there terms in between all of us? can we temporarily give
up our own terms?

Jenny, I am still sticking to the role of reporter in this mail. I find some
scope for debate betwween your take and Nizar's position.
So, let me first explore it before articulating my own position.

The reasons given by Nizar to qualify Chengara struggle as satyagraha were
the following.
1.They have violated the law.
2.They are fiercely holding on to what they have found as truth.
3.They have consciously opted self injury instead of injury on others.
4.this existential dimention, that they are ready to hold on to truth unto
death , is different from other struggles.
5.This is satyagraha.
6.The point you raise, that, it is not a choice but forced situation,
doesn't nullify such a proposition.
7.Satyagraha, even in gandhi's imagination, was the tool of
oppressed/powerlwess. It is not the first step,
but final step, when all attempts at negotiating failed.
8.It is not necessary that activists in Chengara should opt this form. They
could become violent or join other political parties.

Jenny:

A few lines about the difference between non-violent resistance and Gandhian
Satyagraha and why Chengara does not fit the bill

- Non-violent resistance, tries to attain a political goal without averting
to violence and yet at the same time putting pressure on governments and
other authorities through various means like picketing, campaigning,
consiousness raising, etc..
In this the need is to forcefully gain, procure, reach, a certain goal which
is considered to be socially just and which is politically empowering to
subjugated groups.

- Gandhian Sathyagraha in Gandhi's own words "is a kind of truth-force or
love-force or soul-force."
Here the "pursuit of truth did not admit of violence being inflicted on
one's opponent" and he would instead be weaned from error by patience and
sympathy.
Here, patience means self-suffering. And the doctrine came to mean
vindication of truth, not by infliction of suffering on the opponent, but on
oneself.

In Chengara, nothing of this sort is/was happening. The suffering that is
happening in Chengara is not a choice. It is not to convert the opponent.
The threat of suicide is not used to hurt oneself, but because as people in
Chengara have already said, they cannot return to their even worse lives.

See the whole point is this....

An upper caste person like Gandhi, is giving up so much of a great life -
including his clothes, his meat eating habits, sex, etc etc - to fight the
British. He is choosing TRUTH over material comforts and this TRUTH clothes
him and satisfies him and that becomes his moral weapon.

An agitating person in Chengara (and in many other spheres too) is not
anywhere like this. They are not giving up something - going to suffer
something - so as to gain something better - NO. They are always already
placed within suffering due to social injustice and they
are looking for a political way out. Without patience and with anger.

This cliched urge to look at all this in the Gandhian mode, tells us nothing
about the political passions surrouding this new struggle, which needs new
ways of understanding, and which also needs to be seen in the way it wants
to be seen...as a continuation of the Ayyankali and Ambedkarite politics..
--
Dileep R  I  thuravoor