From: devika Jayakumari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [GreenYouth] Re: Chengara: Is It Satyagraha? ( Forget Gandhi while
speaking about Satyagraha!!!)
To: greenyouth@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, 6 October, 2008, 11:10 AM

The 'truth' could be utterly material, right? Like the realisation that
'progressive parties' are of no use to dalit people? the knowledge that people
can't return to worse lives elsewhere?

Just because Gandhi borrowed his techniques from antecedents -- from the Bhakti
cult saints-- nobody equates him with a Bhakti saint (except diehard followers,
I suppose). It would be hard to deny him ingenuity, either. I don't think
saying that the activists at Chengara are using the techniques of satyagraha
automatically reduces them to Gandhi's politics or denies their innovativeness.

Devika

http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/