Having posted earlier excerpts from  Kavita Krishnan's Tehelka article
with the link, I was bit disappointed to see no discussion at all
here. Now, under a different thread though, same topic re-appears but
with a request from the authors to endorse a demand to reformulate the
bill. After following the fierce debates extending to 50 posts by
several distinguished thinkers and activists, one ends up seeing sort
of irreconcilable personal/political bitterness between people who are
either unable to make any  agreement  or quite unwilling to listen to
the others' point.

 I would rather not miss here a few points, which I think transpires
as most  obvious:-

1.The way in which WRB in its present form is being objected  by  the
OBC  leadership is not only disgusting to most people who want to end
the gender discrimination, but it also it exposes their hard core
'khap panchayat' mentality.

2.The infamous statement of Lalu (referring to Rabri in particular and
women in general) in the context of WRB, seems to mean that Indian men
and women would/should ever be proud of  patriarchy.
If that is the case,why should we have a WRB at all, let alone its
present form?

3.Someone who swears by the Mayavati brand of dalit politics
(rejuvenated with a 'sarvajan' formula that would certainly provide
more statues for dalits but more power for the feudalistic elements
and the Corporates..?!) has condescendingly  admitted that he is a
supporter of  patriarchy. He has no appreciation for the fact that
thanks to the WRB in its present form, the representation of SC/ST
women in the Indian Parliament  could go up to 41 or more.

4.The argument that the already pending issue of huge under
representation of Muslims in the Parliament is bound to be  aggravated
with the activation of the WRB merits lot of serious thought.
Therefore, the view  that  this issue is  being raised all on a sudden
to  delay the presentation of the WRB and out of context,  becomes
equally untenable, irrespective of whether it is being raised by a
gang of  misogynist male Muslims, or by others having genuine interest
in empowering Muslim women.