Any exploration into the life of my father makes me more than humble. Our
father, comrade K. Damodaran was recognised as an intellectual who
instilled Marxism into the minds of Keralites from its early stages. I
tried my level best to find out how many years our father spent in jail.
Even now, I do not really know. The information I have received is between
12 to 16 years in total. If it is 16 years, he spent one fourth of his life
in jail. If it is 12 years, then he must have spent around one fifth of his
life in jail. The underground period is different.
In fact, there is an interesting story around it.

Once he received permission from Kannoor jail on parole, to go to his house
for four days. On his way, he stopped at Ponnani. Ponnani beedi workers'
union was initiated by K. Damodaran. There was a strike of the beedi
workers union for better wages at that time. Naturally, he got involved
with it instead of going home. He gave a speech quoting Quran at that time.
Ponnani was filled with Muslim beedi workers. The merit of K.Damodaran was
that he was well versed with Bible, Qur'an and Sanskrit texts of the upper
caste Hindu spiritualities. I am convinced that this guy is the first
liberation theologian in India. Liberation theology entered India only in
1968. But he spoke about it in India a couple of decades before.

After the speech among the striking beedi workers, K. Damodaran was
arrested. Then he told the inspector who arrested him: `You can't put me in
jail. You have no authority.' The inspector asked him: `Why not?' And he
said: `I am already in Kannoor Jail. I have come out on parole. It is
physically impossible for me to be in two jails at the same time.'😊

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/greenyouth/CAEuZ0T0yivoZn9E4%3DSz20UvLstuf4Z276%2BypWBPc9eBoiibHqg%40mail.gmail.com.