On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 10:33:58PM -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering, how many people use format 3 (Windows or gnome help)?

I guess, er... Windows users and Gnome users :-)

Seriously, it's difficult to estimate the numbers, Sourceforge downloads page
shows that downloads of the windows versions are roughly double the other
versions', but we should take into account pre-packaged versions not distributed
through sourceforge... (quite an interesting econometric issue, estimating the
number of users of free software, I wonder if someone on the list ever thought
about that)... and in any case, the number of downloads doesn't say much about
the use of different sources of documentation...

Putting feet back on the ground, I agree with Jack's remarks, but we should take
into account the risk of duplicating work, maintaining two different source
formats for documentation (es. latex and xml).

Allin, what particular aspect of the current documentation system leaves you
unsatisfied?  I'd be glad to help you explore improvements and/or alternatives.

Cri

--
GPG/PGP Key-Id 0x943A5F0E      -     http://www.linux.it/~cri/cri.asc
Free software, free society    -     http://www.fsfeurope.org