yinung at Gmail schrieb:
> Dear all,
>
> I tested the User-defined functions and found some potential errors.
> For example, my function is:
>
> <script>
> function test (series y, int order[0:2:1], string option[null])
>   if option="nc"
>     printf "%s\n","empty"
>   else
>     printf "%s\n","no options"
>   end if
> end function
> </script>
>
> the argument, string option[null], above should indicate that the
> "option" string should be optional.
>
> After normally processing it as a package, I execute this function via
> GUI (the same via command line). If I choose the default "null" as
> automatically specified by gretl, I got an error:
>
> "The symbol 'otion' is undefined... error evaluating 'if' "

Maybe 'undefined' is a little misleading, but otherwise I think this
part of gretl's behavior is ok, at least from what I'm used to in other
languages: 'null' is not a string type and what the result of the
comparison of 'null' and the string "nc" should be is not obvious IMHO.
I think there is a isstring() function in gretl that could be used here.

> If I type any other strings, it works as normal.
> If I give no string at all in the text box, gretl tells me:
>
> "Argument 3 (option) is missing"

I agree this looks like a bug.

-sven