On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Allin Cottrell wrote:

>> An alternative which does away with NLS and the associated potential
>> convergence problems is a Wald-type test, that is, a simple application
>> of the delta method (see section 5.9 of the manual).
>> Basically, all you have to do is write a constraint function returning a
>> _row_ vector, which must be 0 under H0 and nonzero under H1. Then, you
>> feed it into the nlWald function and you're all set...
>
> This is certainly an elegant approach.  In fact, I wonder if it
> might be worth offering a semi-automated version as an option to
> the existing "restrict" command.  That is,
>
> restrict <function-name> --<option-name>
>
> where <function-name> would refer to something like your
> somestupidfunction and <option-name> would be something like
> "nl-Wald".  The place of your "nlWald" function would be taken by
> a built-in function that automatically accesses $coeff and $vcv
> from the last-estimated model (and deposits $test and $pvalue).
>
> Is this too much like spoon-feeding?

Not at all, if you ask me. In fact it'd be a very valuable addition.

> On the other hand, my reading in Greene and Davidson and MacKinnon
> (and not, I hasten to say, my own unaided thinking!) leads me to
> the idea that such Wald tests are not altogether reliable, since
> the result can depend quite sensitively on just how the
> restriction is represented.

Yes, this is true. However, it's a finite-sample phenomenon. It's exactly
the same problem you have when you write a GMM orthogonality condition in
two equivalent ways and you end up with widely different estimates. It's a
fact of life, I'm afraid. On the other hand, it's a nice tool to have and
if you feel your sample is too small, you're free to use other approaches.

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
Dipartimento di Economia
Università Politecnica delle Marche

r.lucchetti(a)univpm.it