Allin Cottrell schrieb:
> On Tue, 1 Sep 2009, Oliver Heering wrote:

>> I already figured out how to fit an ARIMA process to my data
>> (ok, how to actually find GOOD AR/MA/difference orders would be
>> another question). And i can save the resulting model as Icon to
>> my session. Does that mean i can also apply my model to any
>> other data (of the same type of course)? Let's say i fit my
>> model against a timeseries range A. How can i find out how my
>> model fits to another timeseries range B?
>>
>> Maybe this isn't possible at all and i am misunderstanding the
>> whole concept of ARIMA models and -forecasting. I am primary
>> working with the data mining tool "RapidMiner", which allows you
>> to easily apply any learned model to new and unseen data
>> (classification mainly, but regression as well) and i wonder if
>> it is the same with an estimated ARIMA model.
>
> In the gretl GUI, an existing model is in effect defined by an
> estimation method (e.g. ARIMA).  On opening a saved model you can
> use the menu item "/Edit/Modify model..." in the model window to
> create a new, related model.  You can substitute a new dependent
> variable, and/or edit the list of regressors, and/or tweak things
> such as the lag order.

See Allin how cool this feature is? ;-)

> In a gretl script, there's no limit to the extent to which you can
> use an existing model as the basis for a new one.  Just copy,
> paste and edit.

Actually, I thought that what Oliver had in mind when he spoke of a
model was the estimated coefficients as well, not "just" the general
specification. Then it wouldn't be so easy I guess, because a saved
model in gretl terms is tied to the used data sample as well, right?

But maybe I didn't understand him correctly...

cheers,
sven