Hi everyone.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I got Allin's trick to work. Here's
a summary of what I did.

1. Open mydata
store mydata --traditional

2. I had an excel file with the variables and labels in two columns.  Save
as a text file. Make sure that gretl has read the variables exactly the same
way you have them in the file. (My data file/ and description file had extra
00s which gretl wisely dropped - but this made it seem like the variables
were not the same).  Open in Word and save as a text file again.  This
provides a more extensive format check to make sure the spaces are spaces
(and not tabs) etc and hide the txt extension, adding .lbl.  Save in the
same user folder as the data file.

3.  Open mydata.dat again.  This time it opens with all the variables.

So basically, Allin, it's what you said.  I just had to be more careful with
what the final text file actually looked like.

Henrique - For future purposes I am still working on importing a script from
a text file with an .inp extension.  I got an error which read 'error in
byte compatibility'.  Not sure what that is about.  I will try again.

Thanks!!

Shaianne