Thanks John. I was going the way in (1) but will definitely take a look in
the option (2).

Meanwhile, I'm still open on how to do it from within Gretl, since it
facilitates a lot the automation of the process. Since  a seasonal
adjustment is just the first step before a gretl script runs, it would be a
lot more convenient for me to keep it all in Gretl.
Thanks.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM, John C Frain <frainj(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont know how to do this in Gretl.  If it can not be done in Gretl
> you have several options.
>
> 1) Use the original x12arima program.  The easy way to do this is to
> copy the X12arima directory from the gretl directory to a directory
> where you have read write access.  You can then set up an x12
> specification file containing the data and seasonal adjustment
> requirements.  The x12a manual and a sample specification file are in
> the x12arima directory.
>
> 2 Download the Demetra interface to the x12arima program from
>
> http://circa.europa.eu/irc/dsis/eurosam/info/data/demetra.htm
>
> This interface is readily easy to use.
>
> Many other statistical/econometric packages have interfaces to the
> program but I would think that the Demetra one is probably the one you
> might use.
>
> Best Regards
>
> John
>
> On 20 April 2010 03:14, Paulo Grahl <pgrahl(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear list members,
> > I need to change some of the default behavior of the X-12 ARIMA method,
> but
> > could not find instructions in Gretl manual on how to do it from within
> > Gretl.
> >
> > I have a monthly survey series (sort of diffusion index) that ranges from
> 0
> > to100 and I need to get the seasonal factors. I would think in this sort
> of
> > time
> > series, additive seasonal factors make more sense than multiplicative
> > seasonal factors. But, when running X-12 ARIMA from within Gretl I could
> > only get the
> > multiplicative seasonal adjustment.
> > Any idea on how should I proceed to get additive seasonal decomposition ?
> >
> > Many thanks.
> > Paulo
> >

> > --
> > Paulo Gustavo Grahl, CFA