Dear GRETL Folk, greetings from Paris !

I finally checked my problem and here are my conclusions:

1) in fact it is a data problem, because i have two series of prices that are
essentially very colinear, thus the explanatory variables matrices are near
singular but only so when i loop on the different years (for the whole
cross-section the vif test show no colinearity vif <10.0 for all variables);

2) so, when i use ols commands into a loop of the kind :

loop i=1..5
 smpl SURVNUM=$i --restrict --replace
 ols WLOG ...
 ols WCAR_...
end loop

smpl full

everything runs perfectly as expected, however, the ols results on my data
clearly show that there is a colinearity problem: certain coefficients are too
large in magnitude. More importantly, gretl tells me that some variables have
been dropped because of colinearity and that the data matrices are still
near-singular !

3) A first line of  conclusion is thus that : first, the loops are not under
cause ; second, it seems that the system commands do not handle colinearity in
the variables as efficiently as does ols. This seems rather serious because
instead of getting an error message gretl crashes.

I still work on the problem but i think it has been pinpointed.

cheers & regards

Franck

--
Franck Nadaud