Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti schrieb:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Sven Schreiber wrote:
>
>> Artur T. schrieb:
>>> Hello gretl community ;-)
>>>
>>> I would like to ask whether there are any plans to incorporate
>>> generalized impulse response functions into VAR analysis; based on the
>>> papers by:
>>>
>>> 1. Koop, G., Pesaran, M. H. and S. M. Potter (1996), “Impulse Response
>>> Analysis in Nonlinear Multivariate Models”, Journal of Econometrics,
>>> 74,
>>> 119–147.
>>> and maybe
>>> 2. Pesaran, M. H. and Y. Shin (1998), “Generalized Impulse Response
>>> Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models”, Economics Letters, 58, 17–29.)
>>>

>>> Or maybe anyone has written some function for it? I have no idea how
>>> difficult it is to implement this feature, but I think it might be
>>> worthy if the programming effort is not too big and the demand for it
>>> sufficient.
>>>

>> IIRC the "GIRFs" are easy to obtain. If you want the GIRF for the i-th
>> variable, you just reorder the variables in the VAR such that the i-th
>> variable is in the first (or last? I always mix it up...) position, and
>> then you apply the classic Cholesky decomp. So if you want the GIRFs for
>> all n variables, you repeat this trick n times.
>>
>> That's why IMHO the GIRFs are a little over-hyped, but OTOH I don't see
>> them in papers that much, so maybe the hype isn't real.
>>
>> So this looks like a very good case for a user-contributed function
>> package. Artur, I'm sure you could do it yourself!
>
> I agree with Sven. The only thing I want to add is that I'm working on
> a substantially revised version of my SVAR package: the code is almost
> ready (only the cointegrated case is missing), the docs are a bit
> behind. I'll post a link when it's ready: by studying my code, you'll
> probably be able to write a function for GIRFs with relatively little
> effort.
>

> Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
> Dipartimento di Economia
> Università Politecnica delle Marche
>
> r.lucchetti(a)univpm.it
> http://www.econ.univpm.it/lucchetti
Hi,

Yesterday night I started to work on my first gretl program/function
(find attached). I want to implement the generalized IRF.
Unfortunately, it is limited to the VAR(1) case yet, because I am not
sure how to handle higher orders yet.  Maybe, somebody could help me
regarding this(?).
Riccardo you mentioned your SVAR package which I've got here, but I am
not sure which section the relevant is.

Cheers,
Artur