  From: Data Analytics Corp.
  To: gretl-users(a)lists.wfu.edu
  Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:59 AM
  Subject: [Gretl-users] creating ID variables

  Hi,

  Suppose I have a data set of 200 cars where the observation labels are
  the make (Chevy, Honda, BMW, etc.).  Say there are 10 makes.  I want to
  create a variable, say ID, that identifies the make so I don't have to
  rely on the observation label.  The purpose is to later create dummies
  for the makes to include in a regression model and create boxplots (one
  for each make's price, all shown in one plot window) of price.  How can
  I do this?  Or is it better to just use the observation labels and
  laboriously write if statements?

  Thanks,

  Walt

  ________________________

  Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.
  Data Analytics Corp.
  44 Hamilton Lane
  Plainsboro, NJ 08536
  ________________________
  (V) 609-936-8999
  (F) 609-936-3733
  walt(a)dataanalyticscorp.com
  www.dataanalyticscorp.com

  ________________________

  Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.
  Data Analytics Corp.
  44 Hamilton Lane
  Plainsboro, NJ 08536
Don't know how others view it but seems to me that 200 obs
for what you are seeking to do doesn't make for good regression
inferences....but your call.....best wishes...

Dr RJF Hudson Qld Australia
rjf...@powerup.com.au
[...]

w...@dataanalyticscorp.com
www.dataanalyticscorp.com