Data Analytics Corp. schrieb:
> Hi Sven,
>
> I did have make in its own column, the first.  I'll try to put it in
> another column position and see what happens.  If gretl assigns numerics
> to the makes, how do I know what numeric goes with what make?

IIRC gretl would write out a text file with the mapping. This fact would
probably also be mentioned in the message gretl gives you on import.

Apart from that it should in principle not make a difference in which
column that variable is stored. But you're right it cannot hurt to try.
The column should not be called 'obs' (or 'date') though, otherwise
gretl tries to infer the dataset structure (e.g. time series) from it.

-sven