On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Henrique Andrade wrote:

> Dear Gretl community,
>
> When I try to export some data to a .csv file (using the following menu
> path File -> Export data -> CSV) I get "." as the decimal point instead
> of ",". I'm using a Mac with the pt_BR.UTF-8. In the Gretl's preferences
> menu, the option "Use locale setting for decimal point" is checked.
>
> How can I fix this behavior?

Define "fix". IMHO, CSV files should only use the dot as decimal
separator, in the interest of portability across countries. I am aware
that not everyone agrees with me on this, one notable case being ISTAT,
the Italian Statistical Institute (which I find very annoying). But if the
Academy of Science of Berzerkistan decided to use "@" as the decimal
separator, you would still find it mildly funny to open a CSV file
coming from your Berzerki co-author, full of gems like 1(a)234.

The preferences checkbox is there to ensure that, as a proud citizen of
your home country, you don't have a fit any time you see a dot instead of
a comma and are reminded of how evil Anglo-Saxon cultural imperialism is.

Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
Dipartimento di Economia
Università Politecnica delle Marche

r.lucchetti(a)univpm.it