On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> The doc could do with an update on this sort of thing. In
> general "genr x" and "series x" are not equivalent: the former
> provokes the error "No formula supplied in genr" while the
> latter creates an NA series. As you know, "genr" is (sort of)
> deprecated for general use; it's considered better style to
> use a specific type-name instead. But... there are a few
> specials that are still accomplished via "genr", namely
>
> genr time    # linear trend
> genr dummy   # seasonals
> genr unitdum # panel unit dummies
> genr timedum # panel period dummies

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013, Allin Cottrell wrote:

> I don't have any objection to that, other than the backward
> incompatibility. Any others have thoughts on the matter?

We could actually push the idea a little bit further: the following
already works in CVS:

<hansl>
nulldata 24
setobs 4 1:1
q = $obsminor
list D = dummify(q)
setobs 6 1:1 --stacked-time-series
u = $unit
t = time
list U = dummify(u)
list T = dummify(t)
</hansl>

we could deprecate the "genr" special cases Allin cited above in favour of

* the substitution of the "time" special thing with a dollar accessor
   called (well, doh) $time;
* allowing dummify to take $obsminor, $unit and $time as arguments.

Now this would be a rather drastic backward-incompatibility, but would
make things more elegant (in the C source too).

   Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
   Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

   Università Politecnica delle Marche
   (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

   r.lucchetti(a)univpm.it
   http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti