On Mon, 18 Feb 2013, Ignacio Diaz-Emparanza wrote:

> I see now from Jack's response that the function might be made now much
> simpler using
>
> q=$obsminor
> list D=dummify(q)
>
> and if $obsminor is allowed as a parameter of 'dummify' in only one line:
>
> list D=dummify($osbminor)
>
> (But Jacks's example does not work for $pd=168)

This one does:

<hansl>
nulldata 8400
setobs 168 1:1 --special-time-series
series hr = (time-1)%$pd + 1
discrete hr
list D = dummify(hr)
</hansl>

>> Actually, if the seasonal dummies business were touched, I would propose
>> to think also about covering centered seasonal dummies, as gretl already
>> does in the VECM case.
>
> I also support this.

I agree it would be nice to have, but this is not difficult to achieve in
a script. To expand on the script above:

<hansl>
nulldata 8400
setobs 168 1:1 --special-time-series
series hr = (time-1)%$pd + 1
discrete hr
list D = dummify(hr)
loop foreach i D --quiet
     $i -= 1/$pd
endloop
</hansl>

That said, one may conceivably add an optional parameter to the dummify()
function to have centred dummies (although we already have one, but...).

   Riccardo (Jack) Lucchetti
   Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali (DiSES)

   Università Politecnica delle Marche
   (formerly known as Università di Ancona)

   r.lucchetti(a)univpm.it
   http://www2.econ.univpm.it/servizi/hpp/lucchetti